The March Roundup as we know it today had roots that go back to the middle of 1961. The General Service structure in the Detroit area was beginning to wane, from the way it was originally set up by Bill W, in 1950. Groups were springing up everywhere, but interest in General Service work was in the decline.
A group of people decided to put together a kind of gathering which included General Service Representatives (G.S.R.s) and anyone else interested in General Service. It would be a 3-4 hour function with a light lunch and a speaker from the General Service Office (G.S.O.) in New York.
This early function was called “General Service Meeting.” It was put together by some of the Delegates of the time, Daniel G., Panel 7 (57/58), Jack L., Panel 9 (59/60) and Andy A., Panel 11 (61/62) and some young men who would be future Delegates, Joseph C., Panel 19 (69/70) and William (Gus) J., Panel 23 (73/74).
From 1964 to 1972 it was referred to as the “G.S.R. Rally,” then in 1973 some changes began to occur. The name was changed to “General Service Rally” and the event would take place over two-½ day periods. Each year a district would ‘bid” on it and it would take place in a high school gymnasium or a local auditorium. There would be a speaker from G.S.O. and a dance later with a live band. The Area officers at the time felt uncomfortable that not everyone was able to have dinner with the speaker, so they expanded it to include a Friday night dinner with the G.S.O. speaker, which would cost the princely sum of approximately $5.00 to $7.00.
Then in 1976 there were some changes, the name being changed from “G.S.R. Rally,” to the “March Rally.” This name change caused a slight rift with between General Services of Southeast Michigan and AA of Greater Detroit, fondly called “Ferndale,” which closely resembled their long time event named the “Spring Rally.”